Thursday, May 19, 2016

A new student review of Shades of Blue by Joyce Scarbrough

Melissa32301 posted a new student review of Shades of Blue by Joyce Scarbrough. See the full review.

Sam and JoJo are so sweet together. They're always there for each other, and they put each other first. As they grow up Sam starts changing which scares JoJo. Her best friend has become a muscular teenage boy who started to like JoJo as more than friends. When JoJo finds out about Sam being abused, she tries to help him and get him out of the house, even if it means lying to her parents. Scarborough pulls at your heart and makes you feel so many emotions, from sympathy to heartache. Sam goes through so much because of his step-father and it's so sad to read about. The writing style in Shades of Blue was really easy to follow and I felt as though I was part of the story. I felt a lot of the same emotions as JoJo did. The only thing I didn't like about the book was that JoJo seemed younger than an eighth grader and I felt a lot older than her, when I'm only in ninth grade.