Sunday, September 20, 2015

A new student review of The Great Good Summer by Liz Garton Scanlon

muffin posted a new student review of The Great Good Summer by Liz Garton Scanlon. See the full review.

I had a difficult time deciding if I liked this book.  I enjoyed the plot, the characters, and the setting.  The one part that bothered me was one small element.  The book has a very religious tone.  God is referred to, spoken about and discussed multiple times. In the end I decided that I did like the book, it was just that the religious piece was unexpected and I had to adjust.  The book has a good message, that nobody really gets their ideal happy ever after.  The book discusses the consequences of running away and takes a very realistic look at mother-daughter relationships.   I also enjoyed watching Ivy and Paul's friendship grow because Paul doesn't really believe in God and Ivy had been raised in a very religious family and town.