Wednesday, June 03, 2015

A new student review of MARTians

JesusFreak posted a new student review of MARTians . See the full review.

The first thing about this book that caught my eye was the cover art. While simple, the white shopping cart and title against the red background was nicely done.

As for the actual story, I was not impressed. The main character, Zoë, was not a very likable character.  If the book had been in a different character’s POV I most likely would have liked it more. Zoë was aggravating, didn’t make very good decisions, and her dialogue was annoying to me.

The setting could have been described better. I was not sure if Zoë's world was post-apocalyptic or an alternate universe. I also found myself very confused at certain points in the book due to descriptions that were unclear and difficult to follow.

This book was a disappointing read. Perhaps if the author had explained things more clearly and had chosen a different main character, it would have been more enjoyable for me.