Tuesday, June 09, 2015

A new student review of The Hired Girl

Hannah472 posted a new student review of The Hired Girl . See the full review.

This book is one I would recommend to anyone who enjoys historical fiction. It was interesting and enjoyable. The author used percise characterization to develop the characters. The pacing of the novel was not too slow nor too fast. I was constantly flipping the pages waiting for Joan's next adventure to begin. Joan went through many difficult situations and events that were very relatable even with the drastic time difference. It was interesting to see what some of her problems were compared to problems in our current time. 

Throughout the novel, I sympathized with Joan, and I laughed with Joan. Joan's dialogue often made me laugh to myself. I found I could easily relate to the events she went through. I could not put this book down until the very last page. I was left wanting to know more. Schlitz should definitely write a sequel to this book,

There were many life lessons in this book that are highlighted through the characters' mistakes and choices. This is novel that should be cherised and reread again and again; I know I will do so. Readers of this book will receive a taste of what life was like a hundred years ago, and will get to grow up with a young girl named Joan. Laura Amy Schlitz did a wonderful job with this book, and I highly recommend it.