Wednesday, April 08, 2015

A new student review of Tomboy: A Graphic Memoir by Liz Prince

JesusFreak posted a new student review of Tomboy: A Graphic Memoir by Liz Prince. See the full review.

After finishing this book, I have one word to say: WOW.

I’ll admit it: I was iffy about reading a graphic novel. I’ve never been that into graphic novels, but the description of the book had me hooked. When I began reading it, I found myself not able to stop turning the pages as I devoured each word. Not only did I find some of the descriptions relatable, but I was also extremely happy that a book like this exists. Now parents can show their daughters this book so that they know it is okay to be a tomboy, and that there is nothing abnormal about it.

The main character, Liz, struggles throughout the book with constant bullying. This is an everyday occurance for most people that go to school. I thought the ways Liz deals with the harassment were excellent; she stands up for herself at various times throughout the book.

This book is a great representation of what it’s like to “be a girl” in the society we live in, and how to fight gender boundaries.