Wednesday, July 16, 2014

A new student review of The Summer of Shambles (Ondine Book #1) by Ebony McKenna

ReesaOnFire posted a new student review of The Summer of Shambles (Ondine Book #1) by Ebony McKenna. See the full review.

Summer of Shambles was quite enjoyable. McKenna wove a wonderful, whimsical story that takes the reader on a humorous journey. McKenna’s characters were loveable. McKenna took roles that could be mundane (side characters as an example) and gave them a most colorful and beautiful essence.

Adding to that note, McKenna’s writing style is among my favorites as of now. She writes with a lot of humor and small jokes. As I was reading this, I held a goofy smile on my face nearly the whole time.  McKenna showed great ingenuity in this book; the plot and characters were admirably written.

The only drawback I found while reading was that in the beginning it was hard to understand the timeline of the book. Even though McKenna placed several footnotes, maps and ‘informative tidbits’, I still found the exact location  of the plot implacable. Instead of the ‘informative tidbits’ being helpful, I thought them to hinder the flow of the story and rather wished that McKenna had used more descriptive tools to explain things.