Sunday, March 09, 2014

A new student review of Formerly Shark Girl by Kelly Bingham

ClarissaAdeleMorgenstern posted a new student review of Formerly Shark Girl by Kelly Bingham. See the full review.

This book was okay.  Like its predecessor, Formerly Shark Girl was told in poems and letters.   There wasn't much conflict or plot, and many of Jane's actions were predictable.  I felt that Formerly Shark Girl was written just to tie up loose ends from Shark Girl.  Having read Shark Girl, I did want to find out what happened to Jane and other characters, so this book felt a lot like an extended ending.  However, I don't think that this book was as emotionally compelling as Shark Girl.   I understand why Jane was so torn between art and nursing.  I also really liked that the reader got to see some of the letters written to Jane to understand the pressure she felt.  I don't think this book was as emotional as Shark Girl.  This is a relatively quick read, and I would recommend it to realistic fiction fans in sixth grade and up.