Tuesday, January 14, 2014

A new student review of How to Date an Alien: My Alien Romance by Magan Vernon

ReesaOnFire posted a new student review of How to Date an Alien: My Alien Romance by Magan Vernon. See the full review.

I have to hand it to Ms. Vernon, How to Date an Alien, was a pretty entertaining book. I enjoyed it very much. It was a light book that could relieve stress of the day. As much as I enjoyed How to Date an Alien, with its cuteness and lighthearted feel, I must give my honest opinion. At some points in the book I found myself cringing.

Here’s why: The book frustrated me at times. Several characters seemed to act out of their own person. Once those characters acted up, the story seemed awkward and the plot a little cloudy.  Fortunately this only happened a few times. Quickly though, the reader will forgive these tiny little ‘interruptions’ for the greater good—everything else.  Like Vernon’s beautiful scenes between Alex and Ace, and their adorable actions. I absolutely loved whenever Vernon described Circe and how it worked. Every time she mentioned a new alien and described them, I was fascinated. The Caltian aliens were especially interesting; their beings, relationships, and actions were the best described. It was a sweet and pleasant read after a long day. This book was not all sun shine and butterflies though, it had a few twists. The Caltian Queen’s “Night Walking” was a wonderful twist I thoroughly enjoyed. The other characters (like the interns) in the book were quite loveable too, each giving different elements to the book.

I think that my frustration with the ‘interruptions’ in the book just prove (to me) how much I really enjoyed it. So even though some characters made me frustrated, I would love to read the sequel to How to Date…, to find out just how Alex will handle the promise she made, -- I won’t spoil what it is, you’ll have to read and find out.