Wednesday, July 03, 2013

A new student review of Glamorous Illusions: A Novel (Grand Tour Series) by Lisa T. Bergren

sharon posted a new student review of Glamorous Illusions: A Novel (Grand Tour Series) by Lisa T. Bergren. See the full review.

Glancing at the cover of this book, I saw a privileged woman standing feet away from Paris's iconic Eiffel Tower.  Noting the antiquated style of her dress, I decided that this was a book I wanted to read.  I have always been fascinated by European history, especially personal accounts of life.

The chaptersof this book alternate between perspectives of different characters, enhancing the reading experience without disrupting the flow of the plot. Though Cora is a wonderful, admirable heroine, her character is still realistic as she deals with social and emotional struggles.

Sometimes, the language and concepts seem cliché, including the physical attraction between Cora and the apprentice tour guide (William). However, the growing connection between the aforementioned outcasts, each struggling to find a name in their worlds, is unique. I also appreciate how the romance was slowly paced, instead of forced and rushed. Unfortunately, I did not find Cora’s religious epiphanies to be profoundly moving, despite the author’s intention.

Being the history lover I am, I give this book a four-out-of-five star rating for its quality writing style and historical detail. Revving up the drama, the author concludes the book when the group prepares to leave France, continuing their trip—leaving me hanging for more. Given the chance, I’ll be sure to check out the sequels of this promising trilogy.