Monday, October 01, 2012

Desert Fire by H.M. Prevost

Desert Fire is about a 17 year old boy named Nick whose goal in life is to be an investigative journalist.  His life takes a drastic turn when he, his mom, and sister move to Abu Dhabi to escape his domineering and cheater of a father. Abu Dhabi was the perfect place because it was far away and had the only job opportunity for the mother and sister.  The day he arrives in Abu Dhabi, Nick looks out the window and finds himself staring his newest journalism project in the face. A plane was falling out of the sky with a flaming tail. Nick decided to investigate and finds a military officer at the scene, blood sliding down his face, slowly losing the light in his eyes. The man slides a disk into Nick s pocket - a disk that Nick later finds holds key military information. This information will make everything around him change, placing him in life-threatening danger, dangerous missions, and gut wrenching decisions. Nick is a determined teenage journalist who becomes a Canadian spy in order to stop the men who want the disk so badly, they re ready to kill for its secrets.  I personally loved Desert Fire. It reminded me a lot of the Alex Rider series, but it seemed like it was geared toward a slightly more mature reader. There were so many moments where I felt like I couldn t stop. I would read a chapter before a school night, try to sleep, then turn the light back on and pick it up again to find out what happens. I never felt like I was reading, I felt like I was a part of the action. There were no moments where I was bored and wanted it to end. It always kept me intrigued and curious about what would happen next. All in all, this book is a 10 out of 10, no contest. I hope other readers will pick this book up as well because it is definitely top of my shelf, next to Hunger Games.Reviewer Age:13Reviewer City, State and Country: Charlotte, NC USA