Friday, December 09, 2011

Between the Sea and Sky by Jaclyn Dolamore

Esmerine has just achieved her siren's belt, making her one of the highest class of mermaids. Exciting her even more than that is the fact that now she will be working alongside her older sister, Dosia, who is also a siren. But the day after Esmerine's siren ceremony, Dosia goes missing. After persuading her parents to allow her to go look for Dosia on land, Esmerine teams up with her childhood friend Alander, now a winged man. They work together to find Dosia and find their relationship turning into something Esmerine had only dreamed of. She finds many new challenges and experiences on her search for her beloved sister.
First off, I must say this: this book is not set in the present time. The dialogue is old-fashioned. If you don't like historical fiction, you will not enjoy this novel. I do not specifically love historical fiction, but I do enjoy the occasional historical novel. In my opinion, this novel would be greatly improved by having it set in present time.
The other major problem I have with this book is the movement of the plot. Between the Sea and Sky is supposed to be a romance, but Alander and Esmerine's romance hardly develops at all until the book is more than half over. From reading the summary on the back, you would think the whole novel would be focused on that romance, but that isn't the case. The plot did not engage me for much of the book, and I often found myself bored while reading.
One thing I do like about the book is Alander's character; he is the perfect mix of annoying and kind to Esmerine, which creates a minor conflict. Overall, I don't really like this book.
Reviewer Age:14
Reviewer City, State and Country: Leawood, KS United States