Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Women Heroes of World War II by Kathryn Atwood

Women Heroes of World War II is about twenty-six women and teenage girls who helped fight the Nazis. They joined Resistance groups, hid Jews, and distributed forbidden newspapers and pamphlets. This book starts with an introduction about the well-known heroes of World War II such as Winston Churchill and the troops who fought during that time. After the introduction, the book includes a background of each major country during the war. Finally, the book describes the individual stories of each woman or girl who acted as a hero during WWII with photographs beginning every account.

I highly recommend Women Heroes of World War II to anyone, especially women and girls of all ages. I learned so much about the Resistance organizations during World War II and about what was going on in each country.

Several times I got chills after reading what these amazing women did. I also learned more about the women that I already knew of, such as Irena Sendler, who was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize, and Sophie Scholl, who helped make and distribute pamphlets called The White Rose.

I have always been interested in the world wars so I know a lot about them, but I never knew women played such an important role, besides being nurses. Every time I read about the world wars, I am blown away by how a person can be as unbelievably evil as Hitler was. And after I've read this book, I am amazed that some people say that the holocaust never happened.

What these incredibly brave and courageous women went through is astounding, risking their lives for the safety and justice of other people. This is one of the most inspirational books I have ever read.

Reviewer Age:15

Reviewer City, State and Country: Rockford, Illinois [IL] United States