Thursday, October 21, 2010

Half Upon A Time by James Riley

I recently read the book Half Upon a Time by James Riley. This book is a parody on Jack and the Beanstalk. In Jack s village, you are thought highly of if you rescue a princess and then marry her. Jack, however, wants no part in rescuing a snobby princess and then marrying her. But one day, a girl falls out of the sky with the words Punk Princess written on her shirt. But something was wrong. This girl didn't look like a princess. And where was Punk?

The book Half Upon a Time was a very funny book. It was funny for me because the author took a classic fairy tale I have known since I was little and turned it into a humorous novel for our age group today. The descriptions of the settings in the story are very descriptive. I was always able to imagine myself in the place where the characters were. Even though most of the characters are from an era where knights and princesses and villages were dominant, they had traits that reminded me of how people act in today's society. After the end of the book, I was left hanging because the characters had just begun a new adventure right before the book ended. I think that this book could be the next Harry Potter. The vocabulary was definitely age appropriate. I found the book very interesting, and I would really like it if the author would continue the book and make it a series. As you can see, I enjoyed the book Half Upon a Time.

Reviewer Age:12
Reviewer City, State and Country: Braintree, Massachusetts United States