Saturday, September 19, 2009

City of Fire by Laurence Yep

The book, the City of Fire is an action-packed tale of magic and adventure. It is based in the year 1941, except it's changed. For this book, earth is a place where fantasy is reality. However, when Mr. Roland, a rich businessman, decides he wants to find 5 magical objects that give him unimaginable power, it up to an unusual band to stop him. For if they don't, the universe itself could be under Mr. Roland's control. The City of Fire will take you on a winding path that keeps you on the edge of your seat at all times.

In my opinion, the City of Fire was an exciting book that created enormous amounts of suspense in between chapters. One negative to this, is that it was confusing at many times. In many instances, I found myself lost in the story, and I had to read it over again to fully understand it. This book contains many qualities of a great book, but its writing is a little rough, and it's hard to get absorbed into the book. I do like the main plot of the book, though. I enjoyed the changes of 1941, and the adventure the band goes on. I would recommend this book to most kids who are good at reading, but to a beginner I would definitely not.

Reviewer Age:13
Reviewer City, State and Country: Towson, MD USA