Saturday, July 18, 2009

Girl to the Core

When fifteen-year-old Molly refuses her new boyfriend's sexual advances, she soon finds that he has not been as faithful as she thought. After a huge internal struggle, Molly decides that her time would be better spent with another person: her six year old neighbor. Although breaking up with her boyfriend was in her best interest, Molly is still depressed and looks to the Girl Scout-like group "Girl Core" for guidance. However, the group's leader Rhondi seems to think that Molly is a bad influence on the girls. Throughout her fight to retain her membership, Molly learns more about herself and where she stands on her friendships.

Although I loved the Irish ambience of this novel, I can not say that it is one of my favorites. The word choice was limited, and I felt as if the book was written for much younger children. However, certain parts of the storyline were rather intriguing, such as Molly's trip to a wild bar. Through it all, I believe that this book, though not a complex read, would be a good book for girls in the 10-12 age group, due to the fact that the language is mild and there are very few sexual references. This book was not the right choice for me, but I would recommend giving it a try.

Content: 1
Rating: 7
Reviewer Age:14
Reviewer City, State and Country: Charleston, WV United States