Monday, September 29, 2008

The Secret Life of Josephine: Napoleon's Bird of Paradise by Carolly Erickson

In the book The Secret Life of Josephine, Rose Tascher, a 15 year old girl growing up on the French island of Martinique, spends all her days going to balls and hanging out lazily on the beach. Then, her aunt sends her family a letter one day saying she must travel to France to marry her cold, heartless cousin, Alexandre. He drives her crazy with his mistresses and controlling attitude toward her, so she seeks a separation. Living her life single once more brings joy to her. When a short military man by the name of Napoleon sweeps her off her feet she cannot help but think of moving up the social ladder. With her social climb comes a promotion for Napoleon. He becomes power hungry and tries taking control of the rest of the world. But what can Rose do? Save her world or help the man she loves?

I really enjoyed this book. I thought it was very entertaining and fun to read. At points, I couldn't put it down because I just had to know what happened next. Also, the scenes were described to where I felt like I was in the rooms dancing with the characters. I think that many others will enjoy this book. I thought Carolly Erickson did a really good job with this book and I feel that it will be the next Harry Potter or Twilight.

Sexual Content and Foul language

Reviewer Age:13

Reviewer City, State and Country: Minooka, Ill United States