Friday, July 06, 2007

Second Fiddle by Siobhan Parkinson

Second Fiddle is told from the point of view of Mags Clarke, aspiring writer. Mags comes across a girl playing a violin in the woods one day - a girl with remarkable musical talent. Her name is Gillian, and soon Mags takes it upon herself to help Gillian along with her quest to go to a famous (and expensive) school for musicians. But as Mags writes in the beginning, "This story is mainly about me. It was going to be mainly about Gillian, but I have to admit that, when it comes down to it, I find me more interesting."

This was the best book I read in all of June. What captured me from the very beginning of this book was the voice the author gave to Mags as the narrator. Mags was smart, honest, and she felt completely real. It seemed as if the story was actually being written by this imaginative young girl. With its lovely descriptions and witty humor, Second Fiddle was an altogether delightful read.

Content: Some brief language

Rating (0 - 10 scale): 9

Reviewer Age: 16
Reviewer City, State and Country: Moscow, ID USA