Sunday, September 04, 2005

Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin

Liz had an okay life. She was going to get her learner's permit in about a year, she had a prom coming up, and she had a pretty nice family. Then, one morning she wakes up to find herself on a boat! She meets all sorts of strange characters on the boat. Such as Curtis Jest, a member of her favorite band, Machine, and Thandi, a girl who claims to have been shot in the head. Liz is positive she's dreaming. Liz gets a letter, telling her to visit the Observation Deck. When she gets there, she gazes upon her own funeral. Then she gets it. This isn't a dream. She's dead. Liz struggles in her first year in Elswhere. But, she makes friends, gets a job, and makes peace with her death.

I loved this book! To me, it represented that every cloud has a silver lining. Liz was a great character, sometimes bratty, but nevertheless, she was very sweet. I also loved this book because I love dogs. It would be cool to be able to talk to dogs for a job. After reading this book, I decided that when I die, I would like to go to Elsewhere.