Friday, August 12, 2005

Poppy's Return by: Avi

When Poppy's sister, Lily, unexpectedly arrives in Dimwood Forest with bad news that her family's and friends' home will be destroyed, Poppy decides to go back to her old home and try to save Gray House. How will she manage taking along her bratty teenage son, Ragweed Jr. (a mouse) and his best friend, Mephitis. When Poppy returns to Gray House, will she accept her father's plans for her, and will she be able to stop the bulldozer from wrecking the house? If not, what will happen to all the mice that live there? Find out in this amazing story of "Poppy's Return".

I thought this book was exciting to read. I didn't want to put it down when it was time for bed but I had to. The book had amazing characters with many different personalities. This book was a real page turner but I only gave it an eight because of the weird stuff Ereth (a porcupine) says. The illustrations were drawn by Brian Floca and are detailed black and white pictures. I really liked the ones that had Poppy in the picture; she's a really cute mouse. The plot was interesting, and my favorite character was Ragweed Jr. because he did hilarious things. I recommend this book for kids ages 8-12 because the language is fairly easy.

Rating (0 - 10 scale): 8

Reviewer Age: 11

Reviewed by: CMy